Friday, May 8, 2015

Vishnu Sahasra Nama Stotram: Learning & Sharing the Meanings of the Namas

Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya!

I was introduced to the "Vishnu Sahasra Nama Stotram" not too long ago. It was in the year 2007 when we shifted our family to Chennai and started living there in Jeevan Bima Nagar colony that I came to know about a group of people living in that colony who formed what was called, "Sri Vishnu Sahasra Naama Mandali." The founder of the Mandali, Sri Narasimhan was our neighbour, and he suggested to me one day to join them in one of their weekly chanting sessions of Vishnu Sahasra Nama stotram. There were about 50-60 members in the group, and they would come together every Saturday in the home of any one of the members and start chanting the stotram together sharp at 6 PM. 

My first experience of that collective chanting made me forget myself and feel an extreme bliss of chanting the stotram. Then onwards, I became a regular member and joined them on every Saturday whenever I was there in Chennai. They were actually practising that weekly ritual for about 8 years already by then. And most of them got the entire stotram by heart. I started gradually noticing a significant transformation within myself and the way I started looking at my world as I continued with the chanting of this most powerful stotram. I was also very much inspired listening and learning about the experience of other members of this Mandali. 

As I started chanting, I became interested in learning the meanings of the namas. And, I have been sharing them through a Google Group and a Facebook Group over the last several months. I felt why not I share them through a blog like this and link the Google & Facebook groups as well to this blog so that it is all available at one source and all the members as well as general public could get an opportunity to read and learn from. 

Hence, this effort of learning and sharing the meanings of the namas of Sri Vishnu Sahasra Nama Stotram begins on Blogspot.

Om namo narayanaya!



2 comments:

Sridhar Chandrasekaran said...

You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @ipersuade.

Siva's Blog said...

Thank you Sridhar for your very encouraging remarks. So kind and nice of you. Shall connect with you @twitter