Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Story from Siva (27): The Story of a Father and His message of Sympathetic Oneness

Hi,
This week, I would like to share with you the story narrated by Sri Chinmoy in one of his books, Garden of the Soul. Slightly longer than the ones shared earlier. It is more in the dialogue form, and I am sure you will enjoy reading it. Here it goes...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sympathetic Oneness
Sri Chinmoy
A father and son were walking together, enjoying the early morning breeze. They had covered a good distance when the father stopped suddenly and said, "Son, stop!"
The son said, "What's wrong?"
The father said, "Nothing in particular, but let's not walk any farther on this road."
"Why not?" asked the son.
"Do you see that elderly man coming toward us?" the father asked, pointing down the road.
"Yes, I see him," replied the son.
"He's a friend of mine," said the father. "He borrowed money from me and can't pay it back. Each time he sees me he tells me he'll borrow the money from someone else and give it to me. This has been going on for a long time, and I don't want to embarrass him anymore."
The son said, "Father, if you don't want to embarrass him, why don't you tell him that the money is a gift and you don't want it back?"
"I've already told him that," said the father. "When I said, 'I don't want it back; it's a gift,' he got mad. He said, 'I'm not a beggar. I'm your friend. When I was in need, you gave me money, and when I can, I'll give it back. I want to remain your friend, not become a beggar.' Now I don't want to embarrass him, and I don't want to be embarrassed myself. So let's take another road."
The son said, "Father, you are truly good. I'm very proud of you. it's usually the borrower who tries to avoid the lender. It's usually the receiver who is embarrassed, not the giver. But you want to spare him embarrassment. What I have learned from you is a sympathetic oneness."
------------------------------------------------------------
Humility unto others is perhaps one of the greatest of all virtues. Staying kind and forgiving toward the weak and the guilty, though not easy, may help bring about some change, sooner or later. No one, for that matter, is all powerful, and everyone would need some kind of help from someone or the other. It is just a question of who, when, and what one is dealing with. At least, one could derive some sense of relief and peace by deciding to be humane to others in need. It is about treating others just as the same way we would like to be treated.
The Best for you always,
With love and regards,
Siva

No comments: