Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday Story from Siva (37): The Story of an Indian Farmer and His Way of Moving Forward

Hi,
Good evening! Had a great day today with a team of seed production officers working with them on the issues they confront in their workplace and how to resolve them. As we began the discussion, some of the participants started stating the problems/complaints they receive from the seed growers and suggesting that they were too difficult to resolve. Broke them into smaller groups, allotted an issue to each group, asked them to work out a strategy by which the issue be resolved and present it to the whole group. They came up with superb solutions, the very availability of which was only questioned by them a few minutes before. What has made the difference? The outlook?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Story of an Indian Farmer and His Way of Moving Forward
On one of my visits to my native place, I was interacting with an uncle of mine who is a farmer by profession. Just to start the conversation, I asked him, “How are the crops, this season?” He replied “It was a terrible season. We were hit by a severe cyclonic storm and floods at crop maturity that damaged the paddy fields badly.” He continued, “While I could save about 20% of the crop, my cousin lost his crop completely. And, this is not the first time. It has almost become a routine for us.”
I tried empathising with him, “I know what a challenge it is to do farming. But tell me, how do you manage to survive when everything goes so bad, and that too repeatedly?” He said, “Look, we depend on agriculture. We have lost this time. There is no point in worrying about it. The NEXT SEASON could be better. “I could then make out that he doesn’t have the ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ in his dictionary. He only has a positive hope...The NEXT TIME...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We too go through the bad times. But, have we then asked ourselves questions like, “If only I had bought that piece of land, if only I had taken up that job? If only I had been given that opportunity, if only I had not been treated that way?” Would it be better to look forward with a positive hope for the NEXT TIME? Yes, the better days are ahead!
The best for you always!
With love and regards,
Siva

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Always one should have + ve attitude..... Thank you sir for your story....

Siva's Blog said...

Thank you Raj for your comment and a strong statement on +ve attitude.