Saturday, September 25, 2010

Saturday Story from Siva (12): The Story of a Boy and His Father

Hi,
Good morning! Hope you had a great week. I would like to share with you this Saturday the Story of a Boy and His Father. Here it goes.......
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Using All of Your Strength" Author Unknown
A young boy was walking with his father along a country road. When they came across a large boulder, the boy asked, "Do you think I could push that boulder?" 

His father answered, "If you use all your strength, I'm sure you can."


The boy tried to lift, pull, and push the boulder, but he couldn't move it. Determined, the little Boy struggled harder, but every time he thought he had made some progress, the boulder tipped and rolled back hurting his chubby fingers. Finally he burst into tears of frustration and said, "Dad, you were wrong. I can't do it."


His Dad said, "Son, why didn't you use all the strength that you had available?" The boy said, "But I did, Daddy, I did! I used all the strength that I had, but I couldn’t push it!"


His dad said, "Try again." This time, as the boy struggled with the boulder, his father joined him and together they pushed the boulder aside. "Son," the father said, "you didn't use all your strength earlier. You didn't ask me to help. Don't you think your dad is also your strength?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have many resources available with us, and it is important that we use all of our strength so as to be able to accomplish many of the tasks that we perform in our daily life. In the process, we should be willing to ask for help from others as much as we are willing to help others. That includes our own family members, friends, and colleagues. Seven years ago, only when I lost my father, I realized what kind of a strength and force he had been to me in my life and repented how I had always underestimated it. Sometimes we fail to ask for help because of pride or stubbornness. Sometimes we think it's a sign of weakness to admit we need a hand. And sometimes we don't even think about asking for help. It may be the right time now to ponder and prepare an inventory of our strengths, including the innate as well as acquired resources. That includes the people we live and work with.

Reinforcing this thought, here is a video of an amazing story of Patrick Henry Hughes, a boy born blind and wheelchair-bound. Recognizing Patrick's passion for music, his father helped him overcome the odds to live out a dream. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xwCG0Ey2Mg&feature=player_embedded.html

To your continued SUCCESS,
With love and regards,
Siva

1 comment:

Sekhar said...

Beautiful story dad.